Wednesday, April 30, 2008

our house comes to life

The number of cousins I have in Manila are about as many as the fingers on my hands. The majority of them are in Zamboanga. Recently, some of them traveled to Manila for different reasons and our house suddenly sprung to life.

The past months have been quite busy here at home. With my cousin Jaffy staying with us as he was awaiting a kidney transplant, to present as he recovers from the operation.

Early this month was my other cousin Cocoy's graduation from Law School. It is a big thing in our family as it seems that the most accepted and respected professions are doctors and lawyers (I am neither). Cocoy's family flew to Manila to witness the commencement exercises, including his brother's Bougette (first time in Manila) and Mick. It was fun having them around and I know Rocco enjoyed the most as he is for some reason drawn to his three Uncles. Plus of course, how could I ever forget that Sunday...that one day of gluttony we had in Unc Bim's house...literally eating from sun up to sun down(just so sinful!). Imagine, non-stop eating from lunch and ending the day with Yellow Cab pizza and their lo and behold ICE CREAM! I think I gained easily 10 pounds on that day.

Since the graduation, the house was slowly vacated as Bougette and Aunt Georgette (their Mom) had to go back to Zamboanga last week, while Uncle Boy (their Dad) and Mick stayed on for my Unc's medical procedures. After enjoying their company for two weeks, they left yesterday. Jaffy is still here and so is my Mom who is watching over him. The house was suddenly not as busy as it had been and I somehow miss it. And with Jaffy and Mom planning to return to the province this May 16, the once busy household will again become a quiet one. How time flies when you're having fun and it seems that our home just won't be the same without them.

No comments: