Sunday, January 20, 2008

7 years...7 years...

My parents separated when I was 7 years old. Growing up was pretty much like a roller coaster ride. Weekdays with Mom, weekends and summers with Dad and my older brothers. You could call it pretty dysfunctional, but by some miracle, me and my brothers turned out all okay and in a sense...normal. Sunday was always lunch at Moms, and even if Mom is now in Zamboanga permanently, my brothers and I still continue the Sunday lunch tradition (minus Davey who now helps out Mom in Zambo).

Today, Mike's car was in the shop and so I had to pick him and Louie up from their respective homes. It is a great comfort to have them living nearby and I could never picture having it any different. After a quick stop at the grocery, we headed to our house, or what I would like to call every Sunday as "Chub City".

This lunch was extra special as we were celebrating Rob and my 7th year wedding anniversary! Rob prepared a Mongolian style lunch, and it was great! I then brought the boys home and rested for Sunday basketball with the guys at RFM.

Hmmm...seven years...doesn't seem so long ago. But then I see Rocco who is now 5, and then I say, yes, 7 years. I've been wondering about that "itch" that most couples talk about. I mean, we did have that period of adjustment, even if we have been friends for 14 years prior to getting married, you never really know someone fully, even if you already live with them.

I would say that it's been a pretty exciting journey. Living a life with someone... with a promise of forever(APOF!). Now, its difficult picturing life without him. My kids have a father and a mother, and that's how I pray it will always be. This is one journey that I hope will never end, at least not until we breathe our last breath.

I remember being much younger and saying to myself that after seeing what happened to my parents, I would much rather never marry, nor have kids. Well, 5 years plus 7 years later, I look back and say a prayer of thanks. Things really have weird way of working out.

Now I look forward to 7 more...and 7 more after that...and 7 more after that...and...

No comments: